Cartographies of Human Sensation workshop
Performing Sensory Cartographies Workshop
by Jonathan Reus and Sissel Marie Tonn
13th-14th of August 2016, 11:00 – 17:00
Participation is free but limited to 12 participants.
Registration at email@example.com before august 8.
Language of the workshop is English
The focus of this workshop is on the “inner movement” of the body, flows which function autonomically just outside the direct reach of conscious agency. While we are not directly in control of such movements, they are nonetheless in a constant conversation with the surrounding environment and with the physiological life of the body material. To detect & aestheticize these flows we will use worn biometric sensors & sound synthesizers.
Participants will spend 1 1/2 day creating body extensions which renegotiate relationships between the senses & environment, in order to further activate these flows and relationships. They will be provided selected materials that have potentials for renegotiating the relationship between the body and the environment. The workshop will culminate in the creation of a site-specific sonic-sculptural performance, where the authorship of the compositional process is not singular, but somewhere in between where our biology meets the environment.
– Unpacking & discussing some of the ideas the artists are working with. In particular considering “sensory cartography” as a means for exploring the non-conscious co-authorship of music through inner movement & attuned sensitivities to the body and environment. We will also consider the idea of “metasensation”, how awareness changes & forms feedback cycles when the act of sensation is aestheticized and interpreted through technological instrumentation.
– A brief exploration of the technologies we are using, wearable biometric sensors and worn sound synthesizers.
– The core of the workshop will be spent hands-on, constructing new relationships between sensation & environment by constructing body extensions & sound resonators/projectors (participants are encouraged to bring their own materials in addition to what is provided)
– Developing a site specific performance/sonic-body architecture
– Documentation of the performance Duration of Workshop
Please let us know whether you’ ll join by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org before August 8